Cowhide rugs are attractive and stylish interior decor that contribute to the soft texture of any room space. Unlike other rugs, the rug- leather needs adequate care and maintenance to give you that odorless and appealing look.
Unfortunately, most people think cowhide rugs are not durable and require lots of chemical scrub to remove stains and foul odor. However, take a halt here because, in this article, we are going to explore the easiest and best procedures on how to clean a cowhide rug, dig in to obtain this vital knowledge.
Best Procedures on how to Clean a Cowhide Rug
Cowhide rugs need to be regularly cleaned at least two times every week. This will help prevent the chances of dirt and microorganisms harboring inside the rug.
Below are regular cleaning method to try out
01. Shake off the rug
During your usual cleaning hours, take the rug out and shake it off to let dirt, dust, or sand and out. A vacuum may pull out a lot of dirt than shaking off would, but it helps expose dirt that is yet to get into the rug.
The shake off the rug method is a simple method that can help keep your cowhide rug clean and durable.
02. Vacuum cleaning
Vacuum cleaning is an efficient method that will maintain your rug and prevent stains and dust from clustering or getting deep into it.
03. Steam Cleaning
Steam cleaning is a typical method known for giving your rug the attractive deep clean, making it regain its new look. However, for effective deep cleaning results, ensure you vacuum clean the rug first. Use the steam cleaner deep into the hair, don’t let the fibers get intense. Afterward, expose the rug to air dry.
Stain Removal Method
These rugs are known to be resistant to stains but, if you don’t clean it for a long period there is a high tendency that dirt and stains will accumulate. It is essential to keep up with constant maintenance.
How to remove liquid stain
A liquid stain can be tea, coffee, or red wine. When these happens, here are the steps to take:
Materials you will need: damp cloth, water, sponge, towel, knife, shampoo
- Absorb the liquid stain using a towel to dab on the stained area, don’t rub the towel to avoid spreading the stain.
- If a dried material is involved, pull it away by using the blunt edge of the knife.
- Add a few drops of shampoo to warm water to get an even solution.
- Dampen the sponge with the solution and apply on your cowhide rug. Before applying, ensure the sponge is not soaked up.
- Scrub smoothly till the stain is erased
- Use the damp cloth to rinse the shampoo solution from the rug.
How to remove grease stain
Did grease stain find it’s way into your rug? Don’t panic here is how to take it off.
Materials you will need: eucalyptus oil, clean cloth, a brush.
- Using a brush, scrub the grease as best as you can.
- Applying little amount of eucalyptus oil on the stain will make it easier to eliminate
- Using a clean and dry cloth, dry the eliminated stained spot
- Seek professional cleaning to help you with cleaning if the method does not work on your rug.
How to clean off pet urine from your cowhide rug
Having pets around is fun, but things get nasty when they leave a urine stain on the floor, bed, or the couch.
If your rug eventually get stained with your pet urine, here is what you should do
Materials you will need: vacuum cleaner, baking soda, white vinegar, water, sponge, and a knife.
- Make a solution by mixing one tablespoon of vinegar into 2 filled glasses of water.
- Dampen the sponge with the prepared solution and gently rub in the stained area
- Expose the rug to air dry. It is an ideal choice to take the hide outside and let it face the sun. the hair is excluded in this process.
- Once the dry is dry, apply baking soda to the stained area and allow for 24 hours.
- Take off the baking soda with a vacuum cleaner
- Using the knife blunt edge, scrape the spot and your cowhide is just as good as new!
How to remove food from your cowhide rug
When you have kids around, there is a probability that your kid drops food on the floor and the food waste finds its way into the rug.
Check out these steps to help you take the food-drop off your rug
Materials you will need: water, mild soap, knife, two paper cloths, eucalyptus oil.
- Use a blunt knife and scrape off the food from the rug through the hair direction.
- Using a cloth, apply a little amount of eucalyptus oil on the stained spot. Be careful to avoid applying the oil directly on the rug.
- Dampen a paper cloth and rub into the rug
- Using the mild soap and two glasses of warm water, make a soapy mixture.
- Apply the mixture gently into the rug using the other paper cloth.
- Expose the rug for air drying. If this method does not eliminate, it is advisable to seek a professional cleaning service to put you through
01. How can you take off pet urine from a cowhide rug
Once you notice your pet urine on your rug, soak the urine with a sponge as much as you can. Pet urine is alkaline, if not cleaned immediately it will burn the leather and destroy the hair.
Using freshwater wipe off the urine, there may be the presence of bacteria deep into the leather fibers, it is essential to disinfect the stained area with a professional cleaning product.
As soon as this is done, your rug is deep clean and suitable for use.
02. How can I get dog poop out of my cowhide rug
The first step to take from here is to take away solid waste. Afterward, use the blunt edge of a knife to scrape out in-depth poop that must have gotten into the hairs. Then, follow the procedure explained above in the “how to remove liquid stain section’. Rub little quantity of mild soap into the rug and clean.
03. Can you vacuum a cowhide rug
Yes. Vacuum cleaning your cowhide is one of the best cleaning methods used for regular cowhide cleaning, vacuum cleaning helps you take off dust, sand, and dirt that must have trapped into the fibers of the rug.
The vacuum cleaning procedure is well detailed and explained above.
04. What should I do if the rug gets wet
Expose the rug to an area for easy contact with direct sunlight to enable it to dry quickly. When the rug is facing the sun, it dries easily and quickly.
Note: Do not let the hair face the sun while sundryimg.
05. How do I remove permanent marker drawings off white cowhide
First, apply essential oils such as orange oil or lemon oil, then follow the procedure used to take off grease stain as explained above. These oils help to remove permanent marker stains from surfaces.
Now, talking about how to clean a cowhide rug, you may have discovered that cleaning and maintaining a cowhide rug is very easy if you try comparing it to the other types of rugs.
Don’t use a washing machine to remove stains from your rug because it will only damage the hair and fibers.
Your rug needs a gentle hand washing; using the simple procedures outlined above, you can remove excessive stains of all kinds which will keep your rug fresh and clean as a brand new one! If you want to let us clean your cowhide rug please feel free to contact us anytime.